Please register to join in on the conversations.

Photo

soft, Single, Dual or Tri jet flame?

• Page 1 of 3
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 TheMcG

• Member #: 1
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

SO which type do you use? Personally I have found I dislike single flames as they take to long to light the larger ring gauges. I use a tri jet flame and my only complaint is that is eats fuel faster than you can imagine. What is your preference? And do you have anything special?
My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy.
I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?
- Charles M. Schulz

#2 SecretAgentMang

• Member #: 2
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

At home I prefer a triple flame lighter, but if I am going somewhere I will take a single flame. The single-flame lasts a lot longer but I usually will give it a puff or two to jump-start the cigar since it takes longer to light. I also find a single flame is better for touch-ups.

#3 SecretAgentMang

• Member #: 2
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Also I purchased a Jeep butane soft flame lighter that lasts forever and doesn't go out. Great for very windy days and taking it on the road.

Posted Image

#4 trvlnmanroc

• Member #: 12
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I used to prefer my triple jet lighter but lately I have been really like the my single. I find that I can more of an even light using the single than a double or triple. But, I am out of fluid and have been using matches/cedar as of late.
@leafandflame

#5 insanemo

• Member #: 19
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'll be unique here but I love the dual flames. They are more precise than a triple for touching up and use less fuel, and the light much faster than a single. Did I mention they're as flat as a single flame instead of being bulky like a triple flame so they fit nicely in your pocket.

-Mo | @LnF_Mo
Da Bears
"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa

#6 trvlnmanroc

• Member #: 12
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

My dual flame is awful or I might use it more. I do like the size, actually smaller than my single, but it holds very little fuel and has lighting problems. It was free so who am I to complain.
@leafandflame

#7 speaknott

• Old Wise Beard
  • Member #: 48
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

I actually single, dual, and triple fairly frequently, but recently I've been favouring my single flame lighter. This could be because I've been smoking smaller ring gauges, but I'm not sure.

#8 Guest_MisterBastahrd_*

• Member #: 0

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

All of them. A torch has the tendency to scorch the tobacco and leave an ashy taste if you aren't careful. You don't want the flame to actually touch the cigar. I have a single, double, triple flame xikar lighter, two xikar soft flame lighters, a ton of cheap chinese lighters, and 3 xikar soft flame lighters. My favorite lighter is a $3 dupont knockoff I got from dx.com... but since I'm usually smoking with a fan on, I rarely use it.

#9 thgreek314

• Patron
  • Member #: 70
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

I have the Xikar Soft flame torch lighter and it is a great lighter, except I need to send it back to Xikar so they can fix it. I want to get a triple flame torch lighter because when it is windy outside the soft flame doesn't work at all.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

#10 kdubb666

• Patron
  • Member #: 83
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

I love my Xikar Trezo, triple flame.
-Dubbz-

#11 zombievette1981

• Patron
  • Member #: 98
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Im a fan of my double torch. Soft flames are nice, but its always windy where I am. The single flame is nice for touch ups, and mine has a punch built in so it's convenient

#12 SpeedGeek

• Member #: 9
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

I've got a cheapo tri-flame that came with my Montecristo Operation Hope box that works alright, but I just put in an order for a Xikar Executive single flame. The tri-flame seems like it's overkill and isn't wind resistant at all. I think my next purchase will be a Xikar XTX and I might try the dual flame on that.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

#13 CBlackrose

• Member #: 18
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I would like to get a Xikar dual flame lighter, right now I use a single flame microjet torch that I got from Home Depot a few years back. It works like a dream, lights my cigars in no time at all, but since it was designed for melting metal and not lighting smokes, I imagine that it probably burns them like crazy during the light.

#14 justforrazors

• Member #: 81
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I love my single flame xikar. While it sometimes takes longer to get larger cigars lit, I feel like it is more accurate, which is very important for touch-ups.

#15 Fitz1015

• Patron
  • Member #: 229
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I am a fan of the tri jet lighters. i mostly smoke the lager ring gauge cigars. to me tri jet lighters make a more even burn on the lager ring gauge cigars.

#16 Simplefng

• Old Wise Beard
  • Member #: 303
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

i have a colibri single jet for everday use. But at home i use a black ops triple flame, the black one with the 9 mm build in punch.
To live is to laugh and to laugh at someones misfortune is hilarious.

#17 jpastin

• Old Wise Beard
  • Member #: 277
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'll be unique here but I love the dual flames. They are more precise than a triple for touching up and use less fuel, and the light much faster than a single. Did I mention they're as flat as a single flame instead of being bulky like a triple flame so they fit nicely in your pocket.

I love my Lotus dual flame! It can toast and light pretty quickly without burning, and I can angle it to just use one of the flames for touch ups, plus it has a punch built in.

#18 PigDogDaddy

• Member #: 256
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I only have a single flame torch, so that what I use. Usually too windy for anything other than a torch lighter, and no lounges locally.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time."
-- Mark Twain

#19 prometheus

• Patron
  • Member #: 331
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

I've only used a cheapo tri flame... I love it but like OP said, it eats gas so fast. I'd love something from xikar or similar, but 60 bucks on a lighrer is steep. Has anyone tried a Zippo Blu?

#20 HandBanana

• Patron
  • Member #: 309
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I've been using a normal soft flame lighter as I'm waiting and saving for a dual or tripple torch. The only problem I have with it is I have to light the gar indoors then move out. I don't notice any difference in the taste from a soft flame. Being kinda new to cigars I may just not be able to pick up on it though.

• Page 1 of 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users